This competition has now closed!
The Grand Départ was such a success that organisers were keen to replicate the feel-good factor (which did a lot to revive the bunting and yellow paint industries). So this year we have the Tour de Yorkshire – three days of cycling that will again attract some of the top professionals in the sport to race on our shores, taking in places like Bridlington, Scarborough, Selby, York, Wakefield and Leeds.
Sir Bradley Wiggins says he’ll be there. Not only that, he says he’ll be leading his own Team Wiggins development squad for the event, since he’s leaving Team Sky at the end of April.
We’ve been excited about this ever since the event was announced in September last year. It’s the first of its kind, so we wanted to do something special for it.
A bike like no other
We’ve made 40 bikes for people to display outside their homes, offices or any other building they like, as a show of support for the Tour de Yorkshire. It’s around 60cm high and 100cm wide – and a unique memento for what is, after all, a unique event.
How to win
We’re not selling these bikes – we’re giving them away. So if you’d like to win one, all you have to do is let us know what Yorkshire means to you.
Tell us why you love Yorkshire – or show us in a picture – on Twitter by tweeting us @Metals4u_uk and using the hashtag #Metals4ubikes. Alternatively you can tell us what Yorkshire means to you by posting on our Facebook page.
We want these specially made bikes to be with the winners in time for the Tour de Yorkshire, which begins on 1st May, so please show us your passion for Yorkshire before Friday 24th April and we’ll pick our favourites and send the bikes to you.
The celebrations are already underway
Welcome to Yorkshire – who are running the event with Amaury Sport Organisation – have organised a Tour de Yorkshire Festival, which began on 1st April. It’s showcasing the county’s great arts through 200 exhibitions and performances.
Around one million people are expected to watch the race along routes that total more than 500km (over 310 miles) – with plenty more watching on TV. Get your unique Metals4U bike and make sure you’re part of the first ever Tour de Yorkshire!
This competition has now closed!
- A new professional cycle race will be held in Yorkshire in 2015, the sport’s governing body UCI has confirmed (Sep 2014): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29373756
- Tour de Yorkshire cycle race route revealed (22 Jan 2015): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30904913
- Tour de Yorkshire start and finish times announced (4 March 2015): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-31727053
- Sir Bradley Wiggins (winner of Tour de France in 2012) has confirmed his intention to ride in the inaugural Tour de Yorkshire in May. He’ll be leading his own Team Wiggins development squad after leaving Team Sky (12 March 2015): http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/31851489
- Welcome to Yorkshire have released a video that shows the key points of the race from the air (13 April 2015, Cycling Weekly): http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/watch-fly-through-guide-to-the-tour-de-yorkshire-166333
- Around 1 million people are expected to watch the race along the routes, with more expected to tune into television coverage. Where are the spectator hubs? (13 April 2015): http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/tour-de-yorkshire-spectator-hubs-9034031
- The trophy for the winner of the Tour de Yorkshire has been unveiled. It’s designed in the shape of the letter ‘Y’ for Yorkshire (2 April 2015): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-32169591
*All competition rules & guidelines are at the discretion of Metals4U*